Last full week of October

Last full week of October

Tuesday evening, we went to the temple. As we were returning home, we got a call from Stephanie very concerned because Evelyn and Lucia were not able to latch on any more to nurse and they weren't even  really able to suck from a bottle now either. She was taking them to the doctor later in the day. I told her to call me afterwards to tell me what she learned. I was also concerned that she just needed to be able to get more sleep.

On Tuesday, we stopped by our apartment. 
The hose was now hooked up to the bathroom - three ways: sink drain, toilet and shower drain.
 The ceiling was torn apart.
 The hole and pipe in the office.
 Near the closet.
 Just inside the front door.
We are beginning to wonder if they will be done by Nov. 2 for us to move back in.

We were ready to head to bed, so I texted Stephanie and found she was still at the doctor.
She reported that the doctor said that Lucia looked great other than she just needed to eat more
(she had dropped an ounce since Saturday).
Evelyn had dropped 4 ounces and was down to 5 lbs.
The doctor told Stephanie how much to get them to eat and how often. She was to try syringe feeding them. 

Wednesday was weight lifting day again at the office. 
Moving the pallet Book of Mormon boxes into the storage room gives us a good workout.
 

We did it!
That will keep us stocked for a month or so.
 We also cleaned out some of the cardboard boxes that had been accumulating. 
Elder Shurtz was breaking them down to take to recycle.

Wednesday evening, we had signed up to use the laundry in the basement of our regular apartment building. 
We were trying to get some bedding ready for the Bridge's apartment. 
The duvet and covers were way too big to put in the little washing machine in our temporary apartment, 
and the machine in the basement is large and there is a dryer. 
We put in a batch and then went up to our regular apartment 
where we hooked up our router so we could have our language training on Zoom. 
I had to run down and change the laundry in the middle. 
Unfortunately I misread both the Finnish words and the pictures on the dryer. 
I was sure that it said kuuma (hot) and the picture of the thermometer was showing hot. 
When I went back down to check it and put the next batch in the dryer, I realized that the dryer seemed cold. 
I realized the I had chosen the wrong picture and the word actually said kymlä (cold). 
That's what happens when it is all in Finnish and I am trying to hurry.
We set the dryer for hot and waited for as long as we could. 
We ended up bringing everything back to the temporary apartment and hanging them up to dry.
 We had to tie the duvet to the cupboard door handles.
Stephanie had doctor appointments again for the girls. I talked to her and she reported that they seemed to be doing well. They had gained a little bit of weight. She was to continue to get them to eat. 
The syringe feeding seemed to be going well. I was so glad to hear that.

On Thursday, we were excited to see this sign on the bathroom of our regular apartment!
 While the toilet and sink could be used, the ceiling was still torn apart and the light fixture hanging down from the ceiling. 
 The sauna was also still torn apart.
 There was a similar sign in the kitchen, saying that we could use the water in there as well. 
The ceilings were all still torn up and the hall and office were still covered with plastic. 
The kitchen drawers and oven and stove top were still in the living room. 
 The hose was no longer sticking through the mail slot.

On Friday, I texted Stephanie because I realized that I hadn't heard anything from her on Thursday. 
I asked her if she was able to get any sleep, and how everybody was doing. She reported back that she was able to get about 5 hours of sleep a night split in two plus sometimes a little in the morning. 
She also said that she had a doctor appointment for them later in the day and she would call me after.

We took the duvet and covers and sheets over to the apartment for the Bridges and got their bed made.

We take a variety of things to the church on Sundays. On Oct. 28th we took these things:
2 winter bike tires to give to the Lehtinens to take to the Lapeenranta sisters 
(they are going there to do apartment inspections) 
a PIN number to give to the bishop for the bank deposit card so that he can now deposit cash 
(missionaries and kids can pay fast offerings and tithing in cash again), 
a package of supplies, including a spatula for the missionaries serving in the Neitsytpolku ward 
which meets later in the day in our same building.

We took the Ames with us to church. When we dropped them off back at their apartment, 
they had us wait and she brought us some pieces of pie that she had made. It was delicious.

October 27th the sunrise was at 8:31 and the sunset was at 17:38 for 9:07 hours of daylight. 
That is less hours of daylight than the amount that Provo has on their shortest day of the year.
October 27th in Provo, the sunrise was at 7:50 and the sunset was at 18:29 for 10:41 hours of daylight.

I chose to tell the hours for the 27 because that night we turned our clocks back to go off of daylight savings time. 
Or as Sisar Herttuainen says, now it is wintertime (winter time). This is a week earlier than in the US.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kokkola, Pietarsaari and Larsmo

Hyvää pääsiäistä

Our Last Sunday 😢